The Box Hill Town Hall’s history dates back to 1872 when the Nunawading Road District (constituted in 1857) became the Shire of Nunawading.
In 1875, plans were approved for the shire’s first official meeting place – a small shire hall built of brick with a corrugated iron roof at a total cost of 187 pounds and 10 shillings, on what was the former pound site for the City of Box Hill in Canterbury Road.
By the 1880s, Box Hill was becoming the centre of the shire so a new shire hall was built on the north-west corner of Cambridge and Station Streets in Box Hill. A second storey was added to this building in 1921, but as the shire continued to grow, it became necessary to build a larger town hall on another site.
When the Borough of Box Hill was proclaimed a City in April 1927, plans were set in motion to build a new civic centre. Council acquired eight blocks of land at the current site in Whitehorse Road, Box Hill, and plans for the new Town Hall were announced in 1934 with twin foundation stones laid in August of that year.
Box Hill Town Hall was officially opened on 15 April 1935 by the then Governor of Victoria, Lord Huntingfield. Over the years there have been a number of alterations and additions to the original building.
The former Box Hill Council held its first meeting in the new Town Hall on 24 April 1935. A second floor addition was made to the building in 1961 and work started on a new administrative wing in February 1982 and this was officially opened in October 1983.
Following the proclamation of the City of Whitehorse in December 1994, the administration functions of the City were transferred to the Whitehorse Civic Centre in Nunawading in 1996.
In 2006, Council undertook a major $6.5 million capital works program to redevelop and refurbish the Town Hall.
This significant project involved extensive community consultation, followed by the creation of a spacious modern hub to house 14 community groups as well as the Whitehorse Art Space and the City of Whitehorse Art Collection.